Pages

Friday, April 23, 2010

Long time without an update

Well, I haven't been updating on Lola's progress, because not a whole lot has been happening. So here we go, the last week and a half.

We've been working on trotting on contact and creating a tempo and lifting her back a little as her head goes down. Its hard work, and we're in need of more lessons. We're working on canter transitions, but still are not quite "lifting" her as she steps into the canter from a good rhythmical trot. She still gets quick, I am in need of some lessons! Unfortunately we haven't done a lot of work on that, here's why...

I work at a CPA firm, work has been crazy, to say the least, pretty much since mid January. Crazy marathon tax season turned into a crazy sprint the last week, so between that and bad weather, I just didn't get out to see the horses. Then when we closed the office on the 15th I took two days to get as far away as possible from all the hectic busy scheduled and structured things in my life. When I came back I found both my horses all scratched up and both had swelling and heat due to unattended cuts on their legs. Great!

So with all this Lola had just about a week and a half off. Not too bad all in all. All swelling gone, and cuts have nice scabs on them. So Tuesday night we lunged, and tonight we got right back to work.

Other big news, just before I disappeared from the barn, I had Lola's former owner come out. I promised I'd let her ride her once I got her started. She's a trainer, and like I said, she just doesn't have time to start all her horses because she gets side tracked with other horses in training, and Lola had sort of fallen between the cracks. She had done all the ground training and at least got her to the part of mounting when Lola was four, so she has a relationship with the mare, and Lola certainly has a place in her heart. It was great to see someone else on her. She looked fantastic! Being a trainer, she got way more out of Lola than I do! It was great to see what a really good rider could do on her.

Big plans for the weekend: lesson first thing on Saturday, and one or two classes at a little schooling show. Mainly we are going to the show to take advantage of a good arena! Everything is soaked again... I hope to get some good video of Lola while we're all cleaned up. Hope to be posting some good stuff early next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment