Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A week of crazy storms, cold-hosing, and hoping for better days…

So just after the high point of riding last Saturday, I come out on Monday to find that Lola's leg is swollen. Not sore or tender, and no wound at all, just swollen. It was uniformly fat from her hock down, so it was hard to figure out what might be wrong. I had seen her trot a bit out in the pasture before I caught her and she seemed to have a shorter stride, but I had assumed it was because she was taking careful little steps due to the mud. I had someone walk her out so I could watch and although she wasn't really limping, she was taking just a slightly shorter step with that leg. No good. I cold hosed it, and figured I should wait and see. The barn owner said they were all running like mad that afternoon because of the storm, she must of done something then.

Tuesday night was crazy… I only had a little time out there because I had promised that I would go hang out with my sister and the baby. The thing is the Monday storm was still going, and was just getting crazier. I realized how lucky I was to have a break in the storm Monday night to be able to hose her leg down. I left work at 5:10, ended up taking a wrong turn because I’m still not familiar with this shorter route between the office and the barn, and because it was so rainy I could hardly see. So I continued on the road thinking it would eventually connect, and it did, but it added 20 minutes to the drive!

So by the time I get to the barn it 6pm and it was pouring with rain and crazy wind. I trudged out to the pasture, shined a flashlight on Lola’s leg, confirmed it was less swollen than the day before, made her move to another hay pile to watch her walk to verify she wasn't in pain, and trudged back to my truck. I was soaking wet. I’m amazed at those horse blankets, although she was dripping wet on her head and neck she was dry and toasty warm under her blanket! I was not dry or toasty. So I left… Craziest weather! It makes it super scary driving too!

Wednesday and Thursday I just didn’t get out to the barn at all. Other engagements and continually insane weather kept me away. I did check in with the barn owner each day to get an update on Lola’s leg, and it was less swollen each day and she didn’t look lame at all moving in the pasture.

Friday I snuck out of work early so that I could at least find them in the pasture before dark. Her leg looks totally normal again except for a slight swelling right at her fetlock. She is sound as far as I can tell. I was still worried about testing it out, I’m so paranoid about making it worse. I trotted her just a little bit in the arena to see if she was limping so I could make a decision about calling the vet. Not lame, and after cold hosing I couldn’t even tell a difference between legs, so there is nothing to call the vet about at this point! Still I think I’ll keep her to walk work this week and maybe back into trotting next. Oh the stress of being responsible!

Saturday I dragged myself away after dinner. I think it’s been hard to motivate myself to go out to the barn because I am just sort of bummed out about Lola, but also the mud just slows everything down. And I dread hunting for the horses out in pasture when the whole place is 4 inches of water with little lakes throughout! I pulled Lola out first and did a thorough inspection. Still swollen at the fetlock, and tonight for the first time, I could pin point exactly where it was warm. The pastern is warm on the inside of the leg and her hoof is warm. Not sure what that means, but kind of hoping it means its not a ligament or tendon. I really think she must have hit herself along that leg or stepped on her own foot while running. Again, she’s not lame or tender about it, so I’m just not sure. I cold hosed her and put her back out.

So Monday brings the hope for good news. I talked to the vet and since there was no more sign of lameness, very minimal swelling, and the swelling that she’s had is not really indicating a specific ligament or tendon injury, she encouraged me to start her back to work slowly and see if there is any more swelling or heat after some gentle exercise. I lunged her for about ten minutes just doing some walk-trot, and she didn’t show any sign of lameness. So I tied her up and let her eat her sloppy and just groomed her for a while so that I could check on her leg again about 30 minutes after the work. Still no real swelling happened which is a really good sign that it wasn’t worse after the exercise.

I’m glad I gave her the week off just to be sure. It looks like its turning out to be nothing at all. The week wasn’t a total waste for training either. I started bringing her into the barn alone, which was good for her, and she’s had to make the long spooky dark walk from the pasture without Bear to give her confidence. Plus I got to really take time to curry her this week, and that’s going to be a huge part of my evenings for the next month or two because she’s already shedding.

So the plan is to check to see if there is increase in swelling on Tuesday, and if not, then we'll work at the walk-trot for a while just to be sure, but since the majority of our work right now is at the walk, with some trotting on the lunge, there is no reason to keep us from continuing with the training!

No comments:

Post a Comment