Pages

Sunday, May 9, 2010

A couple new things to add to her resume

A couple new things to add to her resume Well, having a green horse is all about exposure to new experiences. So we're starting to check them off the list!

Thursday I didn't have much time, so I free lunged her over a few jumping gymnastic combos in the indoor arena, and then tried something new... I rode her bareback! I slipped on a bridle and bareback pad, and tested her out a little by lying over her back and walking off, then sliding back to the ground. She did fine, so I took her back to the mounting block and got on. She was fine! We worked on the circles and stretching her nose down at the walk exercises. Next time I'll try a little jog, but as usual, we're taking things in baby steps so that she's set up for success.

Friday we had a workout ride. We're trying to do one other big ride a week outside of the lesson ride since that’s always a work out that pushes both Lola and me past what we’d putter around and do on our own. So we did a little bit of everything. Warming up with the side reins on the lunge line, some trot poles both on the lunge and under saddle, walk-trot-canter under saddle, circles, bends, stretching, and everything in between. I was pooped! Lola seemed just fine.

Saturday we had the next big adventure… trail riding! She also got test ridden by a friend of mine! Double new…

I had the friend come ride because I want to make sure she is calm and safe for anyone prospective buyers who come to try her out. She’s a good rider, so there were no worries, I just wanted to see how Lola behaved with a totally new rider. She was just fine! Of course I have a pretty good idea how to get the best out of Lola, so with the new rider Lola was obedient not as quick to really work to trot correctly. She wasn’t nervous or naughty or quick, she was safe, and probably quite happy to not have to work too hard. By the end of about 10 to 15 minutes, they had figured it out and were trotting along nicely. She also cantered her, which was about as good as when I canter her, a little disorganized, but Lola is always good about trying! We’ve got work to do…

So since the friend had started on Lola, I had her stick to her on the trail, and I rode my 4 year old gelding who has more trail experience, but has not been trailered out somewhere since last fall. Now, Lola has been out on a couple of hand walks down the road, she’s been ridden out in the 40 acre pasture, but until Saturday, she had never really been down a trail. It was more difficult terrain than I was hoping for this first time out, but she got the hang of it. Those rocky spots are extra scary with shadows and patches of light across them, so she certainly stopped to look, and they both needed a little encouragement to go on. There were a handful of spots at the beginning where we both got off to walk them past, and by the end nothing really bothered them! It was great progress, and very impressive for her first time out. I mean we saw it all… horses, dogs, people, bikes, boats on the lake, slick granite spots, tricky stair spots, birds, creeks, mud, you name it, we saw it. We even walked into the lake with the help of some more seasoned trail horses that went in first! Such good brave ponies!

Overall it was really successful weekend and I feel good about keeping her on a balanced training schedule. I think she’s going to continue to improve by leaps and bounds this month. It seems like every month she’s a whole new horse!

No comments:

Post a Comment