Pages

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Fantastic end to the weekend- Sunday's dressage show

What a fantastic day!

Today we did an Intro Test A and B, and we were awesome!

The first one was only halfway decent. She was pretty consistent, and really everything was rider error. I didn't leave enough time to warm up before the first test, so she was just a little bit sticky and stiff still. Our 20 m circle to the left was not a good as I would have liked, she was not bending and moving off my leg like I wanted so we ended up making it a funky shape. Surprise, surprise, that was the judges comment. I also tried to get more out of her free walk by pushing her forward hoping to get her to step out and start to stretch down, but she broke into a jog for a few strides. Again, this was my fault. Over all it felt ok, but I spent some good time between the tests warming up for real this time.


The second test (test B) rocked! We were on our game. I really nailed the circle to the left this time, had a good free walk as far as the shape. Instead of being across the diagonal its a broken diagonal, so starting across the diagonal up to X then heading back to the same side you started on. Plus we didn't break gate, I just let her do her thing. I also felt her step to the side with her front left at the last minute at our halt which was a shame.


The few riders before me had walked up to the judge and chatted with her. It was a schooling show, and the ring steward had said she was a really cool judge who was more than happy to offer some additional comments. So I started walking over there at the end of the second test and she said, "My question for you is... Did you go out and get another horse before coming back in??" I had to laugh. Of course I knew that we needed more warm up before the first test, and I could feel the difference after, but it was funny to hear just how different she was! She said she looked like a completely different horse. Warm up is important!

The results...

I got a 66 on the first one (Test A), with comments about her being counter-flexed a few strides, plenty of comment about her not stretching down at the free walk with a note that she jigged at X, and of course a note about the second circle (the one to the left) being a poorly shaped figure.

I got a 72 on the second one (Test B). YEAH!!! Comments were on her resisting my hand twice, again not enough stretching her nose down, and of course the shoulder moving over at the halt.

Other than that she did really well! I got lots of positive comments from people about what a nice horse she is. The judge definitely said that she looked like she had a lot of potential for dressage! This from a judge that has received Horse of the Year seven times on four different horses!

There were not that many riders out for the Intro classes, so its not like I beat out a ton of people, but I walked away with first place for both tests!!! I am SO pleased! What an unbelievable feeling.

1 comment:

  1. Wow you should be VERY VERY proud of those scores! :-) I would certainly be beaming. Your mare looks lovely, dressage seems to suit her (and you). Good job all around!

    ReplyDelete