Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

First ride in a year

 
I got on my mare tonight for the first time in over a year. It was so weird to be on her again! Slightly familiar, yet so different. She is much broader than Bear, and all compact where he is lanky. Her mane is pretty unruly right now and since it’s splitting over the neck and running half-way down, I can’t see the shape and bend of her neck, just wild red hair bouncing about! That will need to be fixed ASAP!

She was very distracted, and wanting to look out of the arena at everything going on. But in general she was nice and relaxed and forward. I just spent some time trying to figure her out again. I forgot what a little motor she has! She just powers along at the walk! I LOVE that:  a walk with such a march to it that I actually need to collect it a bit.

All in all, a good first ride. We certainly didn’t just pick up where we left off a year ago, but that’s ok. She’s a different horse than she was. Some problems are gone, some are still there, some I think we’ve already resolved, but I can’t remember how I rode her to get the right results! I just literally can’t remember how to ride her to get the most from her. I don’t think it will take long to get back in our groove, and once we do, we will have more pieces of the puzzle than we did a year ago. When I can put her together again, she’ll be much more complete, and I’m looking forward to that!

We didn’t do much as it was getting dark (she’d had her massage first and that ran long), and I didn’t want her wet with sweat.

No comments:

Post a Comment