Pages

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Lesson prep


For a while now I’ve been struggling with the idea of creating the same success I get in the lessons. Basically, how do I think as a trainer, and affect my rides of my own accord, instead of only relying on the outside influence? Two points always stand out: I need to demand more without some saying it, and I need to stop and think/plan for results instead of just trying to get a better trot for 20 minutes (without much result). More and better. How? Thinking, not just doing.
So before our first lesson I’ve put together my eval of Lola. (This idea comes from a recent USDF workshop I audited.) The layman’s version of this is to: evaluate the horse, come up with a plan for the rest of the ride, and come up with longer plan for the next few weeks of rides. All horses (even FEI level) have a tendency to be stiff one side, hollow the other. The goal is to have them even obviously, but to do that you have to feel and change accordingly. They often are more “accessible” at a certain gait. 

After our initial ride, I feel that she is stiff going left & hollow going right. This evident up in her bending through the body, and that she has more push from the left hind (occasionally she’ll flip her lead in the back only when going to left.) 
Her walk is currently her best gait, and where she is most accepting of changes. She tends to be a little choppy and her impulsion seems to shoot through the front instead of cycling back. This is more evident in the trot, and she needs a longer connection over her topline, which should allow her to lift her back and swing through the trot more. I need to sort out better half halts to rebalance her and contain the energy. Her canter needs more consistent connection, although she has good moments of working on the bit and round.

Immediate plan- keep the neck stretched onto the bit in walk-halt, walk-trot upwards and downwards transitions, followed by half halt work at walk and trot. If this goes well, then work on change of bend in trot to encourage more connection/stretch in trot.

Next few sessions- Teach stretchy trot. Pole work for larger trot steps. Lunging in Vienna reins. Start some lateral work in the trot to redirect her energy to something other than forward through the contact.
We’ll see how my eval stands up to the trainers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment